One severe condition that can damage an individual’s smile as due to oral cancer. If you have oral and throat cancer, you are not alone, as over 40,000 Americans every single year will be diagnosed with the disease. To help lower your risk and improve your survival rate, always make sure you’re looking for any signs and symptoms that it may have taken hold in your mouth. Various visual clues and ailments in your mouth and facial areas often arise in combination with the presence of oral and throat cancer.
Listed below are some of the most common forms of indications that oral cancer is present:
- Do you have signs of inflammation or lumps are bumps present in your mouth?
- Have you noticed any irregular patches or discolorations that may be present in your mouth?
- Do your gums and mouth routinely bleed with no real explanation?
- Are you constantly finding signs of pus or sores that continue to arise and fail to go away after 2 weeks?
- Are you having difficulties with your mouth not working as intended, including problems with speaking or eating?
- Do you constantly have a sore throat?
- Have you lost large amounts of weight but have no reasonable explanation for why the weight loss occurred?
- Do any areas in your facial zones go numb or suffer from a loss of feeling?
If you’re suffering from any of these issues, it could be a sign of oral and throat cancer. However, just because you don’t have any signs, does not mean that you are not suffering from cancer, as it can be completely devoid of any symptoms as well. Make sure that you’re always visiting your dentist for routine oral cancer screenings.
Do you still have lingering questions about oral and throat cancer? Fred Hermanson and our team at our dental office in Apple Valley, Minnesota, are always here to help you take the steps to building a healthier you. You are welcome to call Smiles by Design Dental Care at 952-432-9155 to book an appointment with us to discuss your options for an oral cancer screening.